I'm obviously behind on posting the latest events in our family. School officially started August 24th! Matthew began 3rd grade and Jayden is now in 1st. In June the school sent out the usual paperwork for the next school year and I had a decision to make. Do I keep the kids on track 3, or do I move them? There were many factors I had to take into consideration. First of all, because their school doesn't actually need to be year round, I knew that most of the kids in their classes would move up to the next grade with them. This would have been great for Jayden, but detrimental for Matthew. Second, everyone knows we take an annual Disney trip in November and track 3 falls in October...it doesn't really work for us. Anyway, because of the kids in Matthew's class we decided to move them to track 4. He really needed a new start with new kids. Unfortunately, this move was great for Matthew, but not so good for Jayden. He has a kid in his class that is not so nice, but knowing Jayden, he can handle it. I wish I could have kept both of them happy, but as we all know, what is good for one is not necessarily good for all and sometimes we just have to cope with the change.
We have had a great summer when it comes to health. Teagan went 3 months without getting sick. I was hoping that his immune system was finally getting better. On Tuesday morning he developed a fever. He didn't have any other symptoms, just the fever. I assumed it was because he was teething because it was mild and he was being his normal self. He played out side with his brothers most of the day and was happy until later in the afternoon. He came in from playing and his head was really hot. I thought it was just the heat but it turns out it was not. I gave him tylenol, but it didn't work to bring down his fever. About 8 p.m. Skyler asked me to get him some motrin and a wet cloth to cool him down. As I was doing this Teagan had a seizure. I had never seen this before so of course I called 911. The paramedics told us it was a febrile seizure, due to the fever. It is the body's natural way to cool itself down. The seizure lasted almost 5 minutes, which took about 10 years off my life. Even though the paramedics said we probably didn't need to go to the hospital we decided to go anyway. On the way there he seized again, this one lasting about 2 minutes.
As it turns out his fever was more than likely viral because they could not find any other symptoms that would cause a high fever like he had. It is now Friday, his fever broke yesterday afternoon, with no other symptoms to speak of. The entire experience took us on an emotional roller coaster more than anything else. We got a lot of information about febrile seizures from the pediatrician and now we feel better about the whole thing. It just figures I'd have another kid with something weird about them. I have Logan who passes out when he gets hurt and Teagan who has the potential to have seizures with a high fever...a mom's life is the best! =)
September is here and we look forward to what this month will bring!

You are such a great Mom if you need a break give me a call!
ReplyDeleteHoly moly girlfriend! How scary.... I am soo glad they are all okay!
ReplyDelete