Monday, October 5, 2009

New Teacher and Great Achievment

This has been a very good first month at school. Jayden began the year with a teacher I was not too impressed with. I hate to say it, but he did not seem to be "all there". I could barely hold a conversation with him because he lacks major communication skills. He's been at the school for 5 years and passed evaluation from the principle so I assume he is good, but I have to say I was elated when I got a phone call from him, notifying me that Jayden would be moved to another class. In his new class, Jayden has been made a "student teacher". This tells me the teacher recognizes his ability and is putting it to good use. It is similar to what his kindergarten teacher did last year. I am so excited to now see what this school year will bring. Before he was transfered to the other class he did receive the "Super Citizen" award for excellent conduct.



Matthew is doing very well in his class this year. His teacher has had wonderful things to say about him. I love his teacher because she focuses on the positives and has an amazing talent at turning a hard situation into a positive one. Last school year we were trying to get a handle on Matthew's ADHD so it was a difficult year. In his second trimester he received an award for "Most Improved" which was great. Although, in the third trimester he received the same award. I was happy he was being recognized for his improvement and hard work, but at the same time I felt if he were to receive an award, it should have been something different because a second "Most Improved" award discredits his hard work from the previous trimester. I'm probably over thinking it, but I was not as excited the second time around. Matthew was just happy to be recognized.
Anyway, this month Matthew received the "Academic Achievement" award for his class. Now this was so much better. It clearly shows how hard he is working and how proud of him Ms. Maxson is. I was so happy for him. Unfortunately, the day he was to receive it he was sick so he missed the awards ceremony.

P.S.
I just noticed that the awards in the picture are backward....I had to edit them in paint so when I did the 90 degree flip it must have flipped the script on the award....how weird!






2 comments:

  1. Thats great! Both the boys seem to be doing wonderful. I think it was a bit strange to do 2 Most Improved BUT neverless it is great! I guess he improved from where he improved. :)

    I would not have noticed the backward papers, thats too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad he is doing good with his new teacher. Thanks for leaving me a message so I can keep in touch through our blogs.

    ReplyDelete