Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Our Mini-Vacay

I have been feeling the urge to get out of town for months now. We were finally able to!! We went up to Utah for the holiday weekend. I have to say this trip was all too short. On the other hand I don't think my back could have taken another night in a bed that was not my own. I don't know if it is because I'm getting old (hahaha) or if it is because I've been working out and my muscles are sore, but whatever the case, it was nice to be back in my own bed.

So, while we were there we took the boys up to Salt Lake City to see the Church History sites. They were probably bored, but I think whether they're bored or not it is good for their minds and their hearts. History is good for everyone. =) We didn't want to stay all day so we hit what few sites we could. The boys enjoyed seeing the Tabernacle. I wish we could have headed to the Conference center, but it wasn't in the cards this time. We did see pretty much all of Temple Square. A funny moment was when Matthew asked if the temple was closed to the public. I told him, "No, its open" then he asked if we could go in. Oh how I wish at this moment we were in our Sunday best. I would have loved to go inside and see the lobby. I've never been in the Salt Lake Temple, but it is definitely on my "To Do" list. After seeing Temple Square we went to the Joseph Smith Memorial building and saw the movie in the Legacy Theater. I can't remember what it was called, but it is still the Joseph Smith movie. I got lucky because Logan and Teagan fell asleep! I was able to sit there and enjoy the presentation without much interruption from talking children. When we got out I asked Matthew and Jayden if they enjoyed it, and they DID! My goal was for them to have some kind of spiritual experience. They are learning about the Holy Ghost in Primary this year and I know they are old enough to recognize it when they feel it so I wanted them to have an experience they can recall.

Lately on Sundays I've been having the boys read from the children's Doctrine and Covenants book. The one with pictures and a summarized version of the scriptures. Well, Matthew was really touched by the story of Joseph Smith when he was a boy and had to have surgery on his leg. He was literally in awe of such a young boy being that strong. That was the part of the movie that touched Matthew. In fact, his exact words were, "I didn't know it hurt that bad! His mom could hear him screaming across the field, Mom! That part made me cry."

Jayden on the other hand, is my soft hearted boy. I can always count on him to be sensitive to the spirit. He told me he cried 3 times during the movie, but couldn't tell me where, except the end. I have to say it is so wrong that they make you cry at the end and then turn on the lights before you have time to get your face cleaned up. =)

Here are some pics of Temple Square


That evening we lit fireworks with the kids. Angela, Ben, and Noah stuck around as long as they could, but it doesn't get dark till after 9 in Utah so Noah was ready for bed by the time we got started. My kids are PYROS! Even Teagan got in on the action. They were very lucky this year. They had 2 days of fireworks because we did them Saturday night at Angela's and then Sunday at Austin's. They had way too much fun.

Here are more pics of their fun time



All in all it was a good trip and it was very nice to get out of town. I think I'll have my fill after our next trip in August for the blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment