Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentines Day Blues


This year my husband is away for Valentine's day. I actually don't mind because we never celebrate this particular holiday, but him being away saddens me because I miss his company. Skyler and I are attached at the hip. We have been ever since we met and even ten years later that has not changed.


I figured if I couldn't be with him this weekend, I could do something nice for him....and me, technically. =) Our house has looked like a tornado hit it for months now. I have been so busy with this and that, and it has caused me to neglect the daily cleaning on occasion. Well, with 4 boys in 1200 square feet, it is bound to get messy. Not to mention the baby I watch who has begun crawling, and pulling himself up onto things. He's into everything now. So, this weekend I decided to do some spring cleaning.


So far I have totally de-junked the boys' room... 5 BAGS OF TOYS!! 3 bags of clothes, and 4 bags of garbage. I had the boys pull everything out of their room except their dresser and their beds. This stuff was piled waste high in a 6x6 area. CRAZY! In 2 1/2 hours I had their room rearranged, vacuumed and put back together. I cannot tell you how good it feels to go in their now. The funny thing is that you would've never known they had that much stuff in their because they had it hidden so well. It gives a new meaning to "looking clean"


Tonight I was so bored without him here, I decided to clean the living room and shampoo the carpet. That was really nice because the spots were getting to me. By the way, I love my Kirby!

My hope is that by the time he comes home tomorrow night I'll have all the dusting done, the kitchen completely clean, and if I dare...my desk clean. It is hard for him to do homework on a messy desk.


While household tasks seem easy, around here they are never ending. I remember last week I almost got all the laundry done, but then as soon as I was finishing the last load there was more to do. If I sweep and mop the kitchen floor, 5 minutes later there is something I have to sweep up.


Tonight I told Skyler what I've been up to and he made this comment, "Wow, it feels like you get more done when I'm not there." As I told him...it is true, I do get more done. BUT... the reason isn't because he's in the way, it is because when he is home I want to spend my time enjoying his company, not cleaning or worrying about things that can wait. The cleaning always needs to be done, but spending time with your loved ones can vanish before you know it.


Just to clarify that comment...I have not spent my whole weekend cleaning. The boys have had a lot of fun going to the park and playing games with me. Out of this whole weekend I've probably only spent about 4 hours cleaning. Not too shabby.

3 comments:

  1. My house next!! Also how did you do the comment reaction?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. It's so true, the cleaning is never ending. It is more important to spend time with loved ones. What a great feeling to have the house dejunked. I'm jealous & this is giving me the urge to get my house all dejunked too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said the same thing to Duke a while back. I get WAY more done when he's not around, but only because I MISS HIM, and I have to do SOMETHING to keep busy so I don't think about it. :)

    ReplyDelete