I had issues with his birthday. I couldn't find the "perfect gift", I had some money stashed away, and one idea in my head.... GO TO DISNEYLAND. So, we celebrated with his family and then on Tuesday night we headed out. However, we did not tell the kids what we were doing. When we got to the hotel that night we told them we still had to get up in the morning and drive so they should go to bed and get some rest. We did this because we did not want them to be excited and be up all night.
The next morning Skyler and I sat them down on the bed and gave them the news.... this was the look on their faces:
Matthew is so happy he's tearing up at this point. All the boys were very excited so we got their shoes on and hopped in the car for a day at the Happiest Place on Earth.
Teagan finally hit 40 inches so he got to enjoy all the big rides with his brothers. He was so excited to be a "big boy".
Skyler enjoyed his birthday present to the fullest, spending time with his favorite people on earth.... his family. I think the fun times we had this year wipe out all the bad stuff that happened the 2 previous birthdays.
Once home from our trip I went up to Utah to relieve my mom and help my sister recover from knee surgery. I cannot express how difficult it is to travel with a baby and two young kids all alone! Riley has this little quirk. He gets scared driving at night. He's perfectly fine in the car until it gets dark, then the screams begin! Due to construction, accidents and the many stops with the kids, it took me 8-9 hours for a 6 hour drive. Miserable.
Once I got back from Utah it was time to get ready for the new school year. We went clothes shopping, bought new backpacks and supplies and started prepping the kids emotionally for the new school year. Logan was very excited to start kindergarten. We got the teacher and time we wanted so now he gets up early with Matthew and Jayden and goes to school....although, he wasn't so happy when he realized they get out at a different time than him. He was under the impression that since he went to the same school he'd be there all day.
All my boys on their first day of school
UPDATE ON SKYLER
Despite several interviews this summer he has yet to find a job. We've realized over the past few months that he is in a tough spot. There is a lot of competition for the management positions, he's over qualified for the lesser positions such as personal banker, teller, etc. and NOTHING pays enough to get us on our feet. At first I was just baffled that he couldn't even get into a basic position, but in every interview they ask him where he plans to be in 5 years and he gives an honest answer, which is in a position that uses his degree. He lets them know he's loyal and will stay with who ever hires him as long as they provide opportunities for advancement, but this is not what they want to hear. They want him to say he doesn't plan on moving up at all. These companies are looking for someone who is complacent, who doesn't care that they're getting paid next to nothing and is willing to stay in one position for 1-3 years. This is not the case for Skyler. He had a phone interview with Nevada State Bank that went horribly wrong in his eyes. He kept his cool, gave them the answers they wanted but he was disgusted when it was over. They actually said they only pay people at the bottom end of the pay scale because they can!! I know companies do this but to actually have one admit it is just appauling. They told him the position would pay only $13/hour....that's what a teller gets paid and it is much more responsibility! Ugh, it makes me sick! So, because Skyler has ambition and is going for a degree and has years of management experience he is out of the running for most positions. Now, once he gets the degree he'll be back in the running because his experience combined with education opens new doors for him.
Some say we need to broaden our search, but you don't know what we've been searching for. Just because he's only had interviews with banks, doesn't mean he hasn't applied elsewhere. Short of fast food restuarants he's applied at every position he's qualified for, banking or not, and we have not recieved calles for any of those applications.
Living in Las Vegas is difficult, but we are trying to make the best of it. Skyler is hesitant about my new plan, but I am excited and I don't mind dragging my kids along if it means he will have the success he deserves.
Around February Skyler will be entering his senior year in college. We are so excited for this milestone. You should have seen Skyler get giddy about it. Because he'll only have 30 credits till graduation he will be eligible to begin an internship. I'm not sure where this will bring us, but it may be the only way he is able to jumpstart his career. If that means I have to get a job to make ends meet then so be it. I was looking up internships in Accounting and a majority of them are paid and paid well. He may only be a part time employee, but something is better than nothing. The only snag in the plan is that more than likely we won't get one here in Las Vegas. So, wherever we go we're gonna have to find a place to live, and a means to support ourselves. This scares Skyler, but I find it exciting. I firmly believe if we do this and it is right the Lord will provide a way. Something good has to happen soon and all we can do is leap when we see an opportunity.
RILEY
This little guy had his 4 month check up at the end of July and was in the average range on everything. I've never had an average kid, and I have to say, I LOVE IT! He is so easy to carry around, and the happiest baby I've ever had. At the time he weighed in at 15 1/2 pounds and 25 inches long. As I said, he is very happy, but he can also get very mad. He knows what he wants and he plans to get it. We are just starting him on cereal, but despite that he has had his fair share of frozen yogurt, and as of last night... pizza crust. I think he just gummed it to death, but Skyler said he REALLY liked it. I bought bananas yesterday so we'll be trying them today. We are all enjoying having Riley in our lives. He has turned Teagan into a nice boy and Matthew into a compassionate one. Logan and Jayden haven't changed, but they are quick to help and love to hold and take care of their little brother. He'll have his 6 month check up at the end of the month and I'll put his stats up at that time.
Now that life is back to normal with all the kids in school, I'm sure I'll be able to keep this updated a little better than I have this summer. I hope all your "new beginnings" were as good as mine.

Hope the best for you and your family. Darren thinks of you guys all the time. But don't have a # so that we can talk. We Miss you guys.
ReplyDelete