Sunday, June 28, 2009

IT ENDS NOW!!

I have had it! Normally, I don't get upset about things. I have become very calm and rational at my "old" age, but I can't take it anymore!! Skyler has had the flu 2 Sundays in a row! TWO! Its not on a Monday or Tuesday, or even a Friday...SUNDAY!! We haven't been to church in 3 weeks because we've been dealing with the flu in one person or another. I kept everyone home because I don't want to be blamed for giving the whole ward the flu. =)

Friday and Saturday I spent the entire day doing "spring cleaning". I wiped down window sills, vacuumed the screens, cleaned the blinds and curtains, dusted shelves, wiped down walls, door knobs, light switches, chairs, cleaned the kitchen, and bathrooms, vacuumed every room, cleaned all the sheets and pillow cases, sprayed the mattresses with ammonia, and cleaned those, cleaned all the toys, and last but not least, laundered all the clothes. After all this, my house is still a mess because the kids have had nothing better to do than make a mess, and Skyler still ended up with the flu this morning. It was a very mild case, but it is still the flu.

As of right now, there will be no one else getting sick in my house, and all will be well at least the rest of the month. (don't you just wish that could be true)

Okay, seriously though, what the heck? I am very sick of it, but really, I just needed to rant. There are of course other things on my mind of an irritating nature, but I choose not to mention them at this time.

So here's an update on our little family:

Skyler just finished his last week in Critical Thinking, and COM 150. He is now beginning COM 220 and History of Money. His final project in the History of Money involves him watching a movie and writing an essay about how money affects the story. He has chosen to watch "Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"...one of his favorite old movies. That makes the project really easy because he already knows the movie. He is still working full time of course, but he is at the East branch and is riding his bike to work everyday. He enjoys the alone time on the way home. It gives him an opportunity to work off the stress of the day before he comes home. Not to mention he's losing weight doing it...or at least he would if I'd feed him better. It's hard to cook really healthy when you don't have the funds to buy healthy. That's the sacrifice I make to stay home with my kids.

Kim (me)... I am still home with the kids. In June I stopped watching "little" Matthew because his mom became a stay at home mom, and I found out that I won't be watching Carson because his mom's hours were cut. All was well because I did get a new child named "baby" Logan...he's a newborn and his mom works at Ensign as well. It makes it difficult for when we want to leave town because she either has to take time off or find someone else to do it when we do, but it all ends up working out. I love it because it cures any baby hunger I have and reminds me how good I have it without a newborn in the mix. I had the intention of starting school in August, but plans have changed. I realized Skyler needs me to keep him organized. With so much on his plate he has a hard time keeping his assignments in order, and just needs that extra hand. I can't deny him that. I decided its best to put it off until a later date because of that and because I'm not sure I can handle babysitting, taking care of my own kids, and helping him along with adding school. I think its just too much right now. We'll see though, by January I may change my mind.

Matthew is doing really well. Since he started his medication for ADHD in January he has pulled his grades up a great deal. He is now on the A, B honor roll and got 4 awards at his last awards ceremony. He has not EVER received an award at school so this was really a big deal. Recently we've had a negative side effect to his medication. He is having a hard time sleeping. He has always had a hard time sleeping, but staying up all night and all day the next day is definitely a side effect. We have found a cure though!! We now have him taking melatonin at night. Since we began this regimen he has fallen asleep quickly and been able to sleep peacefully. We are so proud of the progress he has made, and more importantly, we are so happy we were able to figure out what was wrong and get him on the right track.

Jayden is doing great in Kindergarten. When it comes to school he's the perfect child. He is reading first grade level books, and quickly gaining more vocabulary. He's one of those kids, that if you offer a reward he just goes for it and gets it done as quickly as possible. The library is doing this summer reading program where if he reads 5 books or 5 hours he gets something out of the treasure chest. He found out about it on Saturday, and has already read his 5 books. Now he's going for 10 to get the bigger prize. He's an amazing kid, and always willing to help around the house and with his brothers.

Logan is being his crazy self. He is the entertainment around here. We are currently working on his ABC's and he can name almost all of them. He loves it when we read, and enjoys doing "homework" with his older brothers. He is always playing with his little brother and teaching him lots of cool things like how to jump on the couch. I'm not sure I like that, but really what can I do? It's his couch. Recently he taught Teagan to take a cup of bath water and pour it over his own head. Its funny, they each get a cup, pour the water on themselves then laugh and shriek because of what they just did. Logan is quickly becoming a big boy. He misses being outside a lot, but it is summer in Las Vegas. Going outside when it is over 100 degrees is not my idea of fun. This month he learned that cooking chicken nuggets in the microwave is not a good idea. A couple months ago I posted a pic of him with a melted Styrofoam plate and burnt chicken nuggets...well, he did it again. Just when the smell had finally gone away, it is now back. Tonight he wanted a snack so I told him to get some chicken nuggets and this was his reply, "Mom, I can't, I burn them!! You do it!" Really, I just wanted him to get them out an put them on a plate, but he miss understood. At least I know he learned.

Teagan is cranky. That's the best way to describe him right now. He is cutting 2 teeth and because of this he has a runny nose. He is just miserable right now. I always told myself I would stop nursing when he turned a year old, but he has other plans. The kid does not like food. We've been trying and trying to get him to eat healthy food since he was 5 months old. Here is what he'll eat: pizza, hamburgers, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, waffles/pancakes, apple jacks, honey nut cheerios, spaghetti, lasagna, and a chicken and rice bake. As for drinks...he only drinks water and if he can get it from someone...soda. Talk about picky! I've had to get creative to get veggies in him. The funny thing is, he hasn't even really tried them. He just sees the color and refuses to put it in his mouth. I've read the books that say, it takes at least 10 times before a kid will actually like something. I have to say that is not true. We've been offering this kid healthy stuff every day since he was 5 months, and he won't touch it. It doesn't matter how many times I put it in front of him, force it in his mouth, or disguise it...he won't touch it. What do you do with that? He loves lasagna so I decided to put some chopped spinach into it so that he'd eat veggies without knowing he was. Well, he saw the green and then refused to eat the lasagna. I left it in front of him while we all ate it and he ended up throwing it on the floor, he wouldn't even try it. The good thing is, the rest of the kids loved it. Teagan is not walking yet, but he'll get to it when he's ready. He will walk when I hold one of his hands, but as soon as I let go, he just goes straight to the ground. We have tried taking him swimming, with no luck. He loves baths but hates swimming pools. We can't really get out much anyway because of the kids being in school.

So, that is what's going on with each of us. If any of you have suggestions on how to get Teagan to eat, that would be great. I can't believe its my fourth kid I'm having the problem with. =) As soon as he starts eating healthier I'll feel better about weaning him from nursing. I hope you all have a good week! I know I will because no one will be sick!! =)

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about everyone being sick. That stinks!! Be thankful that Logan taught Teagan how to dump water on his head. Logan could have taught the lesson of passing out!! Katelynn starts school this fall and I am so worried about what Aiden is going to teach Maylee. How to drive mom crazy 101! Well I hope your family stays healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No more getting sick!!! That stinks. My brother downstairs got the flu this weekend, possibly swine flu. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete