My son Matthew has had trouble with the kids at Goldfarb for about 2 years now. Let's be honest, we have a neighborhood full of punks who have parents that don't pay attention to them. Matthew is a nice kid so he is constantly a target. The school would have the councelor go into his class and have talks about respecting each other and being nice to one another. This was their effort on the part of my son. Not once did they pull the culprits aside and tell them their behavior was out of line.
I pretty much got fed up with their feeble attempts at making my son feel safe so I pulled some strings and got my kids transferred to a new school. Well, after the zone variance was approved and the decision was made to follow through with it, the school FINALLY decided it was time to take me seriously and do something about it. Too little, too late.
The area superintendant's office investigated the situation, and of course the administrators at Goldfarb painted me as an over-reactive parent and made themselves look picture perfect. As I read the email, it honestly made me feel like a horrible person. It took my husband to point out that I had followed through and asked them to do something. I had asked them to tell me what they were doing to help my son and all they offered were these in class sessions with Dr. Grant. They made Matthew feel better in the moment, but when he came home it was a different story.
Lesson learned: The school district is for the schools, not the parents. This got as far as the principle denying she knew their was a problem. I was in her office for 2 hours in December telling her about Matthew's problems. It baffles me that she can deny any knowledge of it.
So, we moved on to the new school and now I have this pit in my stomach because I don't know what has been said about it. For whatever reason, the principle took my kids. I don't know if it was because she was told to, or if she just took me seriously and wanted to help. Skyler thinks I should meet with her and tell her how I feel, but I'm not sure that is the best action to take. I'm gonna think about it over the weekend and decide what to do after that.
Boys are Insane
10 years ago

Wow... I am so sorry you all had to go through that. You being mama bear knew what you had to do and you made it happen, thats awesome Kim! I hope the new school will be better, no child should have to have punk kids bugging them at school. That makes me sooo mad!
ReplyDeleteI hope things go better at the new school. Thats gotta be hard for your son.
ReplyDelete