On Saturday, January 15th, Skyler and I will be celebrating our 11th anniversary. While this is not a milestone number I am excited for every year we spend together.
This 10th year of marriage has provided us we greater learning and more trials than we anticipated. It seems that when you have a plan for the future, it doesn't always work out the way you plan. It is a trial that Skyler and I often face because we obviously haven't learned it well enough yet.
I have a friend on facebook that posted a devotional by Elder Dallin H. Oaks named "Timing" as I read it this morning I realized how our life together has been more about the Lord's timing than our own. For example, our initial meeting and marriage was all on the Lord's time. We found each other because we were listening to the spirit and following the promptings we received. Matthew, our firstborn, was conceived at a time that was not particularly convenient. We wanted to wait a year after marriage to begin having children, but the Lord had another plan... 5 months into our marriage I was pregnant despite being on birth control. Since then I have been able to predict what month I'll get pregnant when I get the prompting that it is time to prepare. We have been asked so many times, by various people, "How many kids are you going to have?" Our answer is always the same. We have no idea, we are trying to follow the promptings we receive. To our non-member friends, it is more like, "I don't know... we'll see"
Family is only one decision we've had that requires we follow the Lord's timing. We have had many times when we have not followed the promptings and regretted it later. It is all a learning process and one that we are in the middle of right now. Skyler's job search is not going as quickly as we'd like, but we know we're doing all we can. The rest is in the Lord's hands, so we wait for his timing and have faith that it will all work out. I am so blessed to be able to go through this learning process with a man like Skyler. His patience and optimism help keep our family happy during these trying times.
Since this is our Anniversary blog I've decided I need to point out what I have learned during my 11 years with Skyler. There is so much I'm not sure I'll remember it all, but here are a few things that have been on my mind lately. Some I have learned because of him, and some I've learned with him.
- The family we have created together is our priority. Extended family is, of course, important, but the relationship we have with the Lord, each other, and our children is most important.
- Life is too short to be angry... Live, laugh, love and FORGIVE
- Trials are learning experiences that help us get closer to God so we should look forward to them rather than look on them in despair
- You can never go wrong when you follow the council of the Prophet. Have FHE, scripture study, family prayer, and remind your children daily that you love them. Do this through action and speech.
- Endure to the end... don't let what you "think" you can't do hold you back. Do your best!
- Even when you think you're alone, you're not. When you are living according to the principles of the gospel you have the blessing of ALWAYS having the spirit with you.
- Count your blessings instead of counting what you don't have
- Refrain from being offended. Remember, you CHOOSE to be offended. Others may not say things or behave the way you'd like. It is up to you how you react or feel regarding what they do. Often times, things are said to you and you interpret them the wrong way. Your interpretation is not always what was meant by the person who said it. Therefore, FORGIVE, and move on with love.
- If you are doing your part, the Lord always comes through on his part... just not always when you want.... again, timing.
Like I mentioned above, this is obviously not everything. Really this is just a list of what we've dealt with this year. I feel like some of these lessons are on-going. Skyler and I have made living the gospel a priority in our marriage. This commitment we've made is not only for our earthly life, but for the life hereafter, therefore these lessons are necessary. We look forward to continuing our learning and doing it TOGETHER.

No comments:
Post a Comment